Davy Fitzgerald’s Wexford Senior hurlers emerged victorious after their first battle of the year against rivals, Kilkenny, in Nowlan Park on Saturday.
At full time, the game was tied at 1-21 apiece. An extra 20-minutes of pulsating hurling still couldn’t separate the two sides – so a free-competition from the 65-metre line was called upon.
In the first ever hurling shoot-out, Wexford’s overcame the Cats on a scoreline of 3-2, a result that meant Walsh Cup silverware would be returning to the Model County for the first time since 2002.
Below are all the scorers from Wexford’s Walsh Cup victory over Brian Cody’s Cats.
Scorers for Wexford: P Morris 0-9 (7f), J Guiney 0-5 (3f), H Kehoe 0-3, K Foley 1-0, D Dunne 0-1, C Dunbar 0-1, E Moore 0-1, M Fanning 0-1 (1f), L Chin 0-1, Jack O’Connor 0-1, C McDonald 0-1
20. Matthew O’Hanlon (St James) for Martin (27 blood),
25. Jack O’Connor (St Martin’s) for Dunbar (HT),
17. Damien Reck (Oylgate Glenbrien) for Joe O’Connor (HT),
22. Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers) for Guiney (60),
23. Conor McDonald (Naomh Eanna) for Kehoe (67)
24. Jake Firman (St Martin’s) for Nolan (67)
18. Paudie Foley (Crossbeg Ballymun) for Dunne (67)
21. Diarmuid O’Keeffe (St Anne’s) for Maddock (76)
10. Aidan Nolan for Jack O’Connor (86)
16. Jack Guiney for Liam Ryan (93)
READ ALSO: Strong XV Named For Wexford Walsh Cup Final Vs Kilkenny
Please use the form below to submit an article: