Dogged Furlong digs deep to help Ireland to Grand Slam Victory in Dublin

A work-man-like performance by Tadgh Furlong helped Ireland overcome a very stubborn English team to win the Grand Slam in Dublin on St.Patrick’s weekend…

The team steamrolled England in the last 20 minutes to clinch the Triple Crown, Six Nations trophy and Grand Slam to spark wild celebrations in the stands and absolute chaos across Dublin and the Island of Ireland on Saturday night. The Grand Slam had not been won on Irish soil since 1948 in Belfast and the 

Championship had not been won at home since 1985 making it a remarkable achievement all round, one the Tadgh and Co can be remarkably proud and happy about. Tadgh set his stall out early busting through two tackles eventually being hauled down by the third. He then set about demolishing England hard man Mario Itoje in a beastly tackle.

Call it what you like rustiness, nerves or whatever but unfortunately our Tadgh made some pretty poor handling errors with a poor pass, in the next attack a poor read as he missed a big overlap trucking it up himself, I suppose like any prop and again a poor pass shortly after. It was a bad few minutes for Furlong but he kept at it, kept fighting, kept doing his best. His next pass was much better, setting up a really good run by Ryan Baird.

The Campile man was now settling in with fantastic rugged tackles on Ellis Genge and Kyle Sinclair which this Ireland rugby supporter in the Stands much appreciated. Tadgh later made a really good tackle on England speed merchant Anthony Watson on a dangerous weaving counter attack.

The former New Ross Rugby club man was beginning to show his class, his pride and his ferocity and put major pressure on an England ruck almost blowing them out of it for a counter ruck turnover only for England to somehow hold on to possession. The next Scrum saw Furlong have a bit of a nudge on. Late on in the first half

Tadgh done well to come in at the last second to a held up maul situation and help secure an Irish turn over in our own 22 under severe pressure. 

The Campile man showed brilliant alertness to pick up loose Irish ball soon after. Despite being down to 14 men after a deemed wreckless challenge by Freddie Steward, England powered into the second half and held a lot of ball for Furlong’s minutes on the pitch in that second half. Thus the New Ross clubman was limited to a couple of good tackles. He was later subbed by the impressive Tom O’Toole of Ulster. 

The later stages of the game from about 60 minutes on was dominated by Ireland scoring three tries to one and will always remain a special 20 minutes in the heart of every Irish rugby supporter cheering tries and conversions, applauding great defence, belting out the Fields of Athenry and pandemonium in the stands on the final whistle and the raising of the trophies.

Wexford’s Tadgh had a big part in making that possible. There is no doubt that he is a credit to our county. Attention for Furlong and the Irish Rugby team will now turn towards the World Cup in France.

Value our site? Register NOW for as little as €3 per-year… 

For a €3 Subscription, click here. 

For a €6 Subscription, click here. 

Enjoy our content? Want to keep reading it? By registering, you will have access to all of Wexford Weekly’s content and you’ll also be supporting a growing independent brand. We thank you for your continued support. It costs less than one cent per day to register on Wexford Weekly. If you value our site, we really appreciate it.

– Access to all content
– Improved, premium features 
– Discounts on products 
– First to know about future buses 
– Discounts on future events 

Read also:

Remember to submit your news to Wexford Weekly! To advertise on our socials or website, email our team at

What do you think? Leave a reply...