Across the Wexford region there was a 12% decrease in burglaries from 2021 to 2022. In total the Wexford region experienced 299 burglaries in 2022…
Wexford, however, is well below the national average and that is a positive sign. Wexford is one of only six countries which seen a decrease of burglaries in 2022 compared to the previous year.
Speaking to Wexford Weekly, Eoin Dunne, Managing Director of Phone Watch said:
“The rate of burglaries across the country has increased by 10% year on year – the first annual increase since 2017. The number of incidents is a reminder to all homeowners to always remain vigilant with their home security.”
Despite the fact that Wexford is below the national average for 2022, you can never be too safe. Below, you’ll find some really simple, but effective, measures you can take at home to ensure you feel confident and comfortable when you are at home or away:
Top tips for keeping your home safe:
● Check windows and doors: Always ensure your front and back doors are locked and windows shut, even if you are only leaving your house for a short time. PhoneWatch analysis shows that the majority of burglars gain entry through the front or back doors and yet a quarter of people still leave these unlocked.
● Leave a light on: The most common time for a burglary is between 5pm and 11pm. During this time, you should make sure your home is well lit up. Invest in smart plugs and set certain lights on a timer. These will turn on and make it appear as if you are in your home.
● Turn on your alarm when at home: With half of all burglaries occurring while people are in their homes, it is just as important to lock your doors while you are at home and turn on your alarm.
● Don’t share holiday updates: If you are going on holiday, don’t post about it on social media until you are back, as you are highlighting that your home is vacant.
● Ask a neighbour: If you are away from your home for several days, ask a neighbour if they could bring in your post, so that it doesn’t pile up and look as if there is nobody home.
● Don’t keep spare keys outside: Instead, ensure your neighbour has a spare set of keys for emergencies. With our key tags, your chosen family members and neighbours can arm and disarm your alarm and you can view activity through our handy app.
● Get an alarm and use it: Fitting and maintaining a monitored alarm system is an excellent way to protect your home. It acts as a strong deterrent to potential burglars and provides peace of mind knowing that your home is being protected 24 hours a day. PhoneWatch has an all-inclusive home safety system that gives you more control over protecting yourself and your family for burglary and smoke incidents, and we respond to all alarm activations within 15 seconds. It is proven that you are 4.5 times less likely to be burgled with a PhoneWatch monitored alarm system, according to data from the CSO recorded crime statistics 2022 and PhoneWatch Alarm Receiving Centre Data November 2022.
Value our site? Register NOW for as little as €3 per-year…
For a €3 Subscription, click here.
For a €6 Subscription, click here.
Enjoy our content? Want to keep reading it? By registering, you will have access to all of Wexford Weekly’s content and you’ll also be supporting a growing independent brand. We thank you for your continued support. It costs less than one cent per day to register on Wexford Weekly. If you value our site, we really appreciate it.
– Access to all content
– Improved, premium features
– Discounts on products
– First to know about future buses
– Discounts on future events
Remember to submit your news to Wexford Weekly! To advertise on our socials or website, email our team at email@example.com